Thursday, October 15, 2015

Career Fair Advice

I realize most of my readers are my friends, which means most of you probably aren't college students going to college career fairs. However, since I work as a recruiter, I thought I would add to my blog this funny little anecdote. The president of a club on one of the campuses I work with recently asked me for five tips for college students preparing for career fairs. I love infusing humor where possible, and some of these "tips" required humor to explain. I hope you enjoy, even though you're probably not attending career fairs anytime soon!
~Signed by Stacey


1.       Dress up and look nice. It’s that simple. If you’re heading to the career fair right after class, wear a nice outfit to class. Don’t show up in sweatpants or even jeans – that’s my biggest pet peeve. And invest in a good pair of dress shoes (the money you spend will be well worth it if you land that job!). No tennis shoes with dress pants – it looks tacky. And don’t forget to comb your hair, brush your teeth, shave if you’re a guy – as common sense as it sounds, basic hygiene goes a long way. Don’t chew gum (or anything, for that matter). And be sure to wash the stamp off your hand from [insert name of local drinking establishment here] last night.

2.       Smile, be the first to extend the (firm!) handshake, introduce yourself, be professional, be friendly. Nothing impresses employers more than your taking the initiative to make an introduction. Have a quick synopsis about yourself to share – it can be as simple as, “I’m a junior looking for a summer internship, and my major is consumer affairs.” Or, “I’m graduating in December 2015 and looking for full-time employment opportunities. I studied math but I’m really looking to get into the agricultural industry” – whatever the case may be. The employer will steer the conversation from there.

3.       Have a polished resume ready – on white or off-white linen paper, if possible, but don’t obsess over this (having one on any kind of paper is better than not having one at all). It helps employers remember you (keep in mind, they will meet dozens of people at any given career fair). Your goal is to set yourself apart in positive ways.

4.       Be confident (remember that firm handshake we talked about?), but not arrogant. There’s a huge difference. Know yourself and what you’re looking for (while remaining open to new opportunities), and be able to clearly communicate that. However, don’t expect an employer to offer you your dream job on the spot – that takes time and effort. Also, remember that employers want to talk to you – they wouldn’t be there if they didn’t. That should help calm any nerves you may have.  



5.       Truly listen, and learn. As much as I want a student to be able to talk about himself/herself, I also want them to be willing to listen. Show interest. Learn about the company, the industry, the person you’re talking to. And don’t rush the conversation. You never know what you may take away. Even if you’re only at the career fair because you were required to be for a class, be truly open to learning something new. 

No comments:

Post a Comment