Sunday, October 18, 2015

I Need More Country Sunsets in My Life

I need more country sunsets in my life.

I need to feel the fresh air shudder over my skin, smell the rain as it sprinkles onto my face, hear the crunch of leaves under my boots. I need to taste more things home-grown, watch more clouds float across the blue, blue sky. I need to hear the gravel crunch beneath the tires, the scrape of leaves bouncing across the ground. I need to feel cold, cold kernels of corn slipping through my fingers.

I need the grass sprouting up between my bare toes. I need the breeze rustling through my hair. I need the tractors rumbling across the fields.

I need the bellow of hungry animals. I need the bleat of a new-born baby lamb. I need to witness the first wobbly steps they take.

I need to look up and see nothing but a giant black sky dotted by twinkling stars, no city lights marring that perfect endlessness.

I need the anticipation of a storm brewing, that temperature change, that rumble in the sky. I need that shift in the the air, that smell that promises rain, that moving in of the clouds. I need to hear the thunder crash and the rain ping against the window. I need to see the lighting strike, to shimmer through the distance.

I need to watch the red-orange sun peak over the horizon at the break of day. I need the shadows shifting throughout the day, the hot, hot sun baking the ground. I need the pink sun slouching down through the trees at the end of the day.

I need to run in the rain, to splash through the puddles. I need to see my reflection in a pond, dip my toes in the water.

I need the trees to bud and blossom, to fill out with green, green leaves. I need the leaves to turn crispy and vibrant colors, then slowly, one by one, fall to the ground. I need the bare branches, the dormant tree that sleeps until spring comes back. I need to experience the changing seasons, the seed planted, the reaping once that seed has grown. I need the new beginnings, the harvest, the preparation for another long, cold winter.

I need a blank canvas, a landscape of fields and countryside uninterrupted.

These are things I need to breath in, things I crave, things I can't get enough of. These are things I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment